For more than 75 years, Myers Park United Methodist Church has stood as a spiritual and architectural landmark in Charlotte. Founded in 1925 by a group of 10 local businessmen, the church held services for its original 100 members in the chapel of nearby Queens College (now Queens University). In March 1929, construction began on a new English Gothic-Style Sanctuary on property bought at the corner of Queens and Providence roads. Designed by Louis Asbury Sr., the building featured a distinctive tower, pointed arched windows, exquisite stonework and sat about 700 people. The cornerstone was laid on June 9, 1929. The stone came from the same Hillsborough quarry as the source of stone used to build Duke Chapel. One year later (March 30, 1930), the first church service was held in the remarkable new sanctuary.