When: 09/29/2019 - 01/31/2020 All DayView more details
A Way Forward
An Update from our Lay Leaders, March 21, 2019
With uncertainty surrounding the outcome of the Special Session of the General Conference, many questions have arisen about same gender marriage for us at Myers Park Methodist, including whether our church will host same gender weddings and whether our clergy will perform such weddings. To see where we stand now, read this letter from your Lay Leaders.
An Update from Dr. Howell, March 1, 2019
Read an update from Dr. Howell following the February 2019 General Conference.
Praying our Way Forward
Our denomination’s decision-making body, the General Conference, has gathered to act upon the Commission on a Way Forward’s recommendations. Let us pray together for the church, for all of the delegates present, and for our faith community, Myers Park United Methodist Church. Saturday, February 23, will be a day for prayer. “This will be a wonderful act, signifying and recognizing our dependence on God to lead us forward as a United Methodist Church,” the statement from the bishops said. We encourage you to join in this time of prayer, which can be live streamed beginning at 10 a.m. on February 23 and lasting until 3:30 p.m.
Additionally, we share with you this prayer that you may incorporate into your time of devotion.
A Way Forward
On Thursday, January 10, we hosted an opportunity for our congregation to receive information, ask questions, and share our hopes regarding our denomination’s February 2019 General Conference, which has been called to consider recommendations related to human sexuality and LGBTQ inclusion. Dr. James Howell, Will Barr, and Kate Maynard briefly reviewed the history of these issues, the alternatives to be considered at General Conference, the actions undertaken here thus far, and questions from the congregation. You can watch the recording of the conversation here.
An Important Update from Dr. Howell and Kate Maynard
View an update about what’s going on in our denomination with respect to the issues of human sexuality and LGBTQ inclusion from Dr. Howell and Kate Maynard here.
- Read an updated letter from the Myers Park Way Forward Committee.
- Read the letter from the Myers Park Way Forward Committee from April 25, 2018
Marriage at Myers Park
After prayer and discussion, the Staff-Parish committee affirms their support for our Myers Park Methodist clergy as they make individual decisions about whom they will marry through personal prayer and discernment. Read the full statement here.
The Bible, Homosexuality, and Christian Marriage
View a session present by James Howell regarding The Bible, homosexuality, and Christian marriage.
Homosexuality and the Church
View a session present by James Howell regarding homosexuality and the Church.
- View a comparison of the plans from Uniting Methodists.
- View remarks by Bishop Ken Carter, President of the Council of Bishops, Moderator for the Commission on a Way Forward, and Resident Bishop of the Florida Conference. This was a presentation made to the Western North Carolina Annual Conference in June.
- Rev. Tom Berlin, member of the Commission on a Way Forward, presented to the Virginia Annual Conference a report about the commission’s work and what to expect going into 2019. In this video he uses people on stage to demonstrate how the different proposed models might work. The video is an hour long, but well worth it.
- Read the full report of the Commission, released July 31
- Read background information on Commission on the Way Forward
- Information on the 2019 General Conference
- Read a summary of the Three Plans
- View additional links and videos on a variety of topics related to A Way Forward